BHA-FPX 4112 Assessment 3: National Health Insurance In The United States
Create an 8-12-slide PowerPoint that presents a potential pathway and plan to implement a national health insurance program in the United States.
As you explore the physician services market and the hospital market, you will have an opportunity to explore concepts such as supplier-induced demand and cost shifting. The efficiency of physician and hospital services will be explored, as well as price competition of both physicians and hospitals.
Since the price that a hospital or physician charges for services is rarely paid, you will have the opportunity to think about the relevance of price and why we even have prices today.
National health insurance is a highly debated topic in the United States. This assessment focuses on creating an outline for a plausible national health insurance program, which will bring into consideration a number of factors, such as the financing structure of national health insurance, and think about the advantages and disadvantages of a single-payer system, employee mandates, and refundable tax credits.
You will have an opportunity to look at our neighbor, Canada, and compare the Canadian health system to that of the United States. What are some of the benefits of the Canadian health care system and do those benefits outweigh the costs, such as longer wait times? As you finalize your assessment you will pick a side—for or against—national health insurance.
Demonstration Of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria: Competency 1: Analyze historical perspectives and current trends in the healthcare industry.
- Explain how legislation has supported or failed to support national health insurance in the United States.
Competency 2: Assess the United States healthcare system from an economic perspective.
- Analyze the implications of national health insurance on access, utilization, technological advancements, cost, and growth in the United States.
Competency 3: Analyze the evolving economic reimbursement trends, methods, and technology.
- Explain the necessary reimbursement changes that would be required to transition to national health insurance in the United States.
Competency 4: Analyze how economic and stakeholder influences affect operational planning and decision making.
- Explain the necessary operational changes that would be required to transition to national health insurance in the United States.
Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and respectful of the diversity, dignity, and integrity of others and is consistent with expectations for health care professionals.
- Write following APA style for in-text citation, quotes, and references.
- Write clearly and logically, with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
For almost a century, the U.S. healthcare system has been a hot topic of debate and a central issue in all political agendas. Many argue that the United States should have national health insurance, similar to Canada, so care is accessible to everyone.
Others argue that national health insurance leads to longer wait times and decreased quality.
In this assessment, you will consider everything you have learned in this course, including the history of the U.S. healthcare system, reimbursement methodologies, technology, and operational concerns. Make an argument, grounded in research, for whether or not the United States should implement national health insurance.
Reviewing the media piece National Health Care Trade-Offs | Transcript before beginning your assessment may help you to better understand what areas of a national health insurance program you believe are most important, as well as the trade-offs needed to pursue your priorities.
- Also, make sure to consult the scoring guide to make sure you are meeting the communication criteria and achieving at your desired rubric level.
Create an 8–12 slide PowerPoint within the context of a brown bag session for colleagues at your current organization or an organization for which you would like to work.
The goal of this session is to share innovations and ideas on a truly national health insurance system in the United States, as well as the legislative, economic, and logistical considerations and trade-offs of your plan.
Include the following in your PowerPoint:
- Explain how legislation has supported or failed to support national health insurance in the United (Competency 1)
- Discuss the impact of Medicare and Medicaid on the health care
- Determine the feasibility of expanding Medicare and Medicaid into a national health insurance available for all
- Analyze the implications of national health insurance on access, utilization, technological advancements, cost, and growth in the United (Competency 2)
- Identify access, utilization, technology, cost, and growth concerns resulting from national health
- Analyze the pros and cons of national health insurance in the United States and determine the feasibility of national health insurance in the United States based on the pros and
- Explain the necessary reimbursement changes that would be required to transition to national health insurance in the United (Competency 3)
- Apply the reimbursement methods of national health insurance to the United States health care
- Determine the feasibility of those reimbursement methods in the United States health care
- Explain the necessary operational changes that would be required to transition to national health insurance in the United (Competency 4)
- Apply the operational practices of national health insurance to the United States health care
- Explain how the practices of physicians, hospitals, insurers, patients, and the government would each change to transition to national health
- Determine the feasibility of those operational changes in the United States health care
- Write following APA style for in-text citation, quotes, and (Competency 5)
- Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements and scholarly writing
- Assess the relevance and credibility of information
- Write clearly and logically, with correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and (Competency 5)
- Apply the principles of effective
- Determine the proper application of the rules of grammar and
Written and visual communication: Ensure content is clear, with correct spelling, grammar, and syntax, and well organized to support orderly exposition of content. The writing and visuals should enhance the message. Avoid errors that detract from the message.
PowerPoint slide formatting:
Write each slide, except the title and references slides, with a bold headline and up to seven bullet points. Use as few words in each bullet point as needed to convey your message. Think of them as subheadings. Enter all details and supporting information in the Notes area below the slides.
Length: Compose 12–18 slides.
References: Cite at least three current scholarly or professional resources. APA formatting: Use APA style for references and citations. Remember to use in-text citation just as you would in a paper-style written assignment. You may find it helpful to consult the following resources:
Use the scoring guide to understand how your assessment will be evaluated.