Culture And Environment Of Safety
Provide your answers to the following questions in a 2-page paper. Use APA Editorial Format for all citations and references used.
- What should the “culture and environment of safety” look like when preparing and administering medications?
- Discuss a common breach of medication administration.
- Identify three (3) factors that lead to errors in documentation related to medication administration.
- What can I do to prevent medication errors?
For this Assignment, you are going to write a paper explaining how you developed your theory through the four stages (theorizing, syntax, theory testing, and evaluation). Your paper must be 3 to 5 pages, not including the title and reference pages.
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- Minimum requirement of at least 5 sources of support be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar checks to minimize errors.
Rights of Medication Administration
Check the name on the order and the patient.
Use 2 identifiers.
Ask the patient to identify himself/herself.
When available, use technology (for example, bar-code system).
Check the medication label.
Check the order.
Check the order.
Confirm appropriateness of the dose using a current drug reference.
If necessary, calculate the dose and have another nurse calculate the dose as well.
- Right route
- Again, check the order and appropriateness of the route ordered.
- Confirm that the patient can take or receive the medication by the ordered route.
- Right time
- Check the frequency of the ordered medication.
- Double-check that you are giving the ordered dose at the correct time.
- Confirm when the last dose was given.
- Right documentation
- Document administration AFTER giving the ordered medication.
- Chart the time, route, and any other specific information as necessary. For example, the site of an injection or any laboratory value or vital sign that needed to be checked before giving the drug.
- Right reason
- Confirm the rationale for the ordered medication. What is the patient’s history?