HIM 4610 Full Course – Medical Terminology
UNIT 1 Discussion
DQ1 Memorization and Study Tips
What tools and resources do you plan to use to learn and commit to memorizing word roots, combining forms, suffixes, and prefixes? How could you use flashcards for memorization?
DQ2 Why Study Medical Terminology?
Julie would like to work in health information at a hospital or clinic. She wonders why it is necessary to spend time learning word roots, suffixes, and prefixes of medical terms when it might be faster to memorize the definition of the entire medical term. Julie discussed with you that she is studying to work in health information, not in an English department, and that learning all the word components is a waste of time.
Write a post in which you respond to Julie’s concerns.
UNIT 2 Discussion
Terminology Application to Skin and Sense Organs
Use accurate medical terminology and references, to the text and other credible sources, to write a post in response to your choice of one of the two following scenarios. Label your post with the scenario you choose:
- Scenario 1: Susan is suspicious that her recent headaches and sinus drip result from allergies. Her physician has told her that she needs to come in to the office for some skin tests to help him determine what allergies she might have. Why does Susan’s physician want to do skin tests when her allergies do not seem to affect her skin?
- Scenario 2: Abnormalities of sensation can result from disease or dysfunction in the receptors for sensation or along the pathway that sends the signals from the receptors to specific areas of the brain. The abnormalities can also be the result of brain abnormalities with no reported problems in the areas of reception or transmission. What is the terminology to describe these different types of abnormalities as they pertain to the sense of hearing? Give an example of each.
UNIT 3 Discussion
Use accurate medical terminology and references to the textbook and other credible sources to respond to your choice of one of the three scenarios that follow. Label your post with the scenario you choose.
- Scenario 1: John, a 72-year-old man with suspected colon cancer, underwent a colonoscopy. A large mass was found 12 centimeters proximal to the splenic flexure. In which part of the colon is this located? Describe the trace of the colonoscope’s route to the location of the mass.
- Scenario 2: LaToya is studying her medical terms and comparing examples. She finds the terms gastroesophageal and esophagogastric. Should she assume that they are two ways of saying the same thing? Why or why not?
Sometimes a suffix functions independently as a medical term. Give two examples of suffixes that are also terms, and explain how they are used.
- Scenario 3: Dan, a 50-year-old man, is experiencing muscle stiffness and shaky hands. In the office, you note his stooped posture. Tests reveal a deficiency of dopamine, which helps to confirm a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease. Knowing that there is currently no cure for Parkinson’s disease, Dan is upset and ambivalent about taking medication. How can you help Dan understand his condition and how his medication, levodopa plus carbidopa (Sinemet), will help him?
UNIT 4 Discussion
Terminology Application to Urinary and Reproductive Systems
Use accurate medical terminology and references to The Language of Medicine and other credible sources to respond to your choice of one of the three scenarios. Label your post with the scenario you choose:
- Scenario 1: Women have a greater incidence of urinary tract infections (bladder infections) than men. Use complete statements to provide a response to each of the questions that follow:
- Why do women have a greater incidence of urinary tract infections (bladder infections) than men?
- What are the anatomical terms of the organs associated with the urinary system?
- Scenario 2: The cyclical function of the female reproductive system is menorrhea, the normal discharge of blood and tissue from the uterus. Use complete statements to provide a response to each of the questions that follow:
- How can some of the prefixes you have learned be used to describe menstrual disorders? For instance, try the prefixes a-, dys-, oligo-, and poly-.
- What are the anatomical terms for the organs in the female reproductive system?
- Scenario 3: Jim is a 53-year-old man who is healthy, but recently he has had difficulty urinating. His physician performs a digital rectal exam and reports that it appears that Jim’s prostate is enlarged. Use complete statements to provide a response to each of the questions that follow:
How would the above scenario cause problems with urination?
What are the anatomical terms for the organs in the male reproductive system?
UNIT 5 Discussion
Terminology Application to Sounds After reading the chapters for this : Go to the Auscultation Assistant website, linked in the Resources. Turn on your computer audio.
Click on each tab (physiology, systolic, diastolic, rub/gallop, lungs) to learn about and listen to heart sounds, murmurs, and breath sounds.
Note: This website includes audio content on heart and breathing sounds; however, the text descriptions on the site also provide the necessary information for completion of this discussion. If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in this activity, please contact Disability Services (linked in the Resources) and your instructor to request accommodations.
Write a post in which you use accurate medical terminology to describe your insights and lessons learned from this activity in relation to the respiratory, cardiovascular, and blood systems. Use APA style to provide accurate citation of references to the Auscultation Assistant, the textbook, and other credible sources.
UNIT 6 Discussion
Terminology Application to Lymphatic and Musculoskeletal Systems
For this discussion, you will choose one of the following websites (both linked in the Resources) to review. Pay particular attention to the medical terminology used at the site. Read the chapters for this before you explore the website. Label your post with the scenario you choose:
Review information from About Lymphoma: Lymphatic System.
Explore the activities at Osteoporosis and Bone Physiology. This website contains animations, a quiz, games, and other information and links that encompass a vast amount of educational material pertinent to this ‘s lessons.
Write a post in which you discuss something of interest from the selected website in relation to what you have learned about the lymphatic and immune systems or the musculoskeletal system.
UNIT 7 Discussion – Terminology Application
Use accurate medical terminology and references to The Language of Medicine and other credible sources to write a post in response to your choice of one of the two scenarios. Label your post with the scenario you choose:
Scenario 1: An enlarged thyroid gland can lead to symptoms that reflect either overproduction or underproduction of thyroid hormones. How are both of these conditions possible from an enlarged thyroid?
Scenario 2: Mr. Walden, a high school psychologist, was recently asked to consult with the teachers and parents of Robert, a student who is experiencing academic and social problems. What types of tools would assist Mr. Walden in evaluating this student before the consultation?
UNIT 8 Discussion – Health Topic Presentation
Post your presentation for other learners to review. If you need assistance with this, see Using Kaltura [PDF], linked in the Resources.
UNIT 9 Discussion
To prepare for this ‘s final exam, which covers all course content, write a post to address the following items:
Define and explain at least one new health information management (HIM) term that you learned from reading Chapter 5 in Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice.
Explain at least one study tip that you found useful to commit medical terminology to memory.
Describe at least one study tip to help remember the definition or spelling of a medical term learned in this course.
UNIT 10 Discussion
DQ1 Other Medical Terms
Based on your research, write a post in which you list a term, its pronunciation, and a definition for each of the following categories:
Medical term of French origin.
Medical acronym (pronounced like a word) and abbreviation. Medical eponym.
Include APA-formatted references and citations to your sources, and use credible sources (not Wikipedia).
DQ2 Course Reflections
Share what you learned in this course that you believe will be helpful in your future endeavors. Tell the class what you liked the most and what you liked the least in this course.
UNIT 5 Assignment
To complete this assignment, propose and submit three potential topics for your course project. You can use the Health Topic Presentation project description and the Unit 8 assignment to review the project requirements.The instructor will approve one or more of the topics and offer feedback as necessary. Having your topics reviewed will assure their scope is sufficient and appropriate for the project requirements.
UNIT 8 Assignment – Health Topic Presentation
For this course project assignment, use credible sources to research the health topic, disease, or syndrome your instructor approved in Unit 5. Develop a presentation, and deliver it via screen and webcam recording so that your slides are visible, your face is included in a video capture, and your voice is recorded simultaneously. This is important, so that the instructor can evaluate your spelling, pronunciation, and use of the medical terminology related to your topic. Guidance for how to record your presentation can be found at Using Kaltura [PDF], listed in the Resources.
Your presentation should not exceed 30 minutes in length. In addition to the recording, submit your presentation slides and a transcript of your presentation. Use APA style and format to cite scholarly sources.
In your presentation, you should define and describe your topic, and present information about it, including causes, signs and symptoms, at-risk populations, prognoses, diagnostic and testing procedures, treatment protocols, support systems, and prevention.
You will be graded according to how well you demonstrate the course competencies, which will be measured by the following criteria and requirements:
● Pronounce medical terms properly.
● Spell health care terms correctly.
● Apply medical terminology related to pharmacology or other treatment to a health topic.
● Apply medical terminology related to the structure and functions of the human body to a health topic.
● Apply medical terminology related to human body systems to a health topic.
● Apply medical terminology related to a specialized area of medicine to a health topic.
Format: Recording, plus a transcript with title page and reference page in a Microsoft Word document.
References: Include references in APA style and format.
Writing: Create a presentation that is clearly written and generally free of grammatical errors.