Nursing Assignment Acers
MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Points: 100 | Due Date: 5/25/20 | CLO: 5 | Grade Category: Assignments
MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement Assignment Prompt
The purpose of assignments Part 1 – Part 3 is to gradually guide the student in developing the signature assignment. The idea is for the student to take a stepwise approach to completing the signature assignment. The signature assignment will be broken up into three steps: STEP 1 – Introduction and Overview of the Problem; STEP 2 – Project Purpose Statement, Background & Significance and PICOt Formatted Clinical Project Question; and STEP 3 – Literature Review and Critical Appraisal of the Literature. The three steps, when completed, will be combined in the final Signature Assignment formal paper in Week 8. MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Week 3 Part 1 Example – Reduction of Heart Failure Readmission for Age 65 and Older
Heart failure is recognized as one of the most important core measures by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Based on the data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2019), there are about 6.5 million adults who are living with heart failure across the country. American Heart Association (2016) also indicated that heart failure affects 5% of the population who are 65 and older in the United States. Furthermore, healthcare organizations have already spent approximately $30.7 billion in 2012 in Heart Failure treatment and maintenance, and the costs will double the amount in just twenty years by prediction (Usinowicz et al., 2020). Thus, to reduce the readmission rate for Heart Failure patients, especially for the ones who are age 65 and older will tremendously decrease the healthcare costs and improve care quality for the senior citizens. MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Overview of the Problem
It is not uncommon that patients return to hospitals within 30 days of their discharge. The report that Medicare published by Gorina et al., (2015) showed that 17 % of the Medicare patients who are 65 and over were readmitted to the hospital within 30 days after discharge, and Heart Failure cases make up 24 % of the readmissions. Unfortunately, patients who are age 65 and older with readmissions most likely will suffer from some serious medical complications due to prolonged hospital stays. It also costs a vast amount of financial stress for both the patients and healthcare organizations. Therefore, post-discharge follow-up programs are developed by hospitals to reduce the readmission rate for heart failure. A collaborative effort from the multidisciplinary team facilitates the transition to home for the patients on discharge. The goal for these programs is to improve the quality of life, medication reconciliation, self-care skills, and coordination of care. Age-specific goals are taken into considerations for senior patients in the programs, such as assessment of the readiness, need for the second learner, and alternative education tools.
American Heart Association. (2016). Older Americans and Cardiovascular Diseases. https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_483970.pdf
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2019). Heart Failure. https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/heart_failure.htm
Gorina, Y., Pratt, L. A., Kramarow, E. A., & Elgaddal, N. (2015). Hospitalization, Readmission, and Death Experience of Noninstitutionalized Medicare Fee-for-service Beneficiaries Aged 65 and Over. National health statistics reports, (84), 1–24.
Usinowicz, E., Ronquillo, K., Matossian, B., Picewicz, B., Bartsch, E., Haddad, C., Abbate, K., & O’Connor, T. (2020). Reducing Readmissions for Heart Failure. Critical Care Nurse, 40(1), 82–86. https://doi.org/10.4037/ccn2020983
This week’s assignment is STEP 1 – Introduction and Problem Statement.
First, the student will select a clinical question from the Approved List of PICOt/Clinical Questions or seek approval for a question from the course professor only for Nurse Educator and Health Care Leadership MSN majors who wish to tailor their research question to their specialized major. The student will select an approved topic from the list (or with faculty approval as previously stated) and will customize the question to meet his or her interest. MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Next, the student will use the outline below and submit via a Word doc to the assignment link.
- Provide a title that conveys or describes the assignment.
- Introduction – Provide an introduction to your topic or project. The introduction gives the reader an accurate, concrete understanding what the project will cover and what can be gained from implementation of this project.
- Overview of the Problem – Provide a synopsis of the problem and some indication of why the problem is worth exploring or what contribution the proposed project is apt to make to practice.
- References – Cite references using APA 6th ed. Manual.
MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement Expectations
- Due: Monday 5/25/20, 11:59 pm PT
- Format: Completed Word doc with references in APA 6th ed. format
- File name: Save the file with Student First Name_Last Name_Part 1
See USU NUR Writing Assignment Rubric for additional details and point weighting.
Instructions for Week 3 Research Paper.
The paper for Week 3 should be 3 to 5 pages not including the title page or references. An abstract is not required and will neither add to or subtract from the grade for inclusion or exclusion.
You are writing the first two chapters of a research paper. Yes, chapters. A master’s thesis of 100 pages or so would frequently have 40% of the thesis in these two sections. All research papers have the exact same five chapters.
Remember that every fact stated must be appropriately referenced.
Points: 100 | Due Date: June 8th, 2020 | CLO: 5 | Grade Category: Assignments
This week’s assignment is STEP 2 – Project Purpose Statement, Background & Significance and PICOT Formatted Clinical Project Question.
The student will answer the items below in a Word doc and submit to the assignment link.
- Provide a title that conveys or describes the assignment.
- Project Purpose Statement – Provide a declarative sentence or two which summarizes the specific topic and goals of the project. MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
- Background and Significance – State the importance of the problem and emphasize what is innovative about your proposed project. Discuss the potential impact of your project on your anticipated results to the betterment of health and/or health outcomes.
- PICOt formatted Clinical Project Questions – Provide the Population, Intervention, Comparison, Expected Outcomes and timeframe for the proposed project.
- References – Cite references using APA 6th ed format.
- Due: Monday, 11:59 pm PT
- Length: See section requirements above
- Format: Completed template with references in APA 6th ed. format
- File name: Save the file with Student First Name_Last Name_Part 2
Approved Clinical Questions For PICOt Development List
Implementing a clinical practice protocol/guideline for the management of [hypertension or disease] in [the homeless or population/clinic type]
Developing a clinical protocol to prevent [community acquired pneumonia or disease] in [vulnerable populations] in primary care
Identifying barriers to [diabetic treatment or disease or health promotion] adherence in a community primary care clinic
An educational program to improve [influenza and/or pneumococcal or type] vaccination rates among [population]
Evaluation of an intervention protocol to improve adult vaccination rates among [older adults or population]
Primary care providers’ adherence to treatment guidelines for the management of [Type II diabetes or disease] in a [rural or type] clinic
The implementation of a clinical protocol to identify and manage [COPD or disease] in [the working poor or vulnerable population or setting]
Evaluation on implementing [smoking cessation or disease prevention/health promotion] primary clinic in long-term care
Improvement of screening rates for [sexually transmitted diseases or disease prevention targets] in a primary care clinic
Implementing a peer review process in a primary care clinic or setting
The effectiveness of implementing the [Geriatric Depression Scale or standardized assessment instrument] for the treatment and management of [depression or disease] in primary care
Evaluating the use of computer reminder systems for providers to improve treatment guideline adherence in [community care or setting]
Screening for mild cognitive impairment in a primary care setting
Primary care provider practice patterns for the treatment and management of [pain or disease] in [older adults or population]
Effectiveness of obesity management strategies in [working adults or population] with [cardiac risk factors or disease] in primary care
The impact of the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner’s role in a healthcare home model
Identification of perceived barriers to care of [women or population] seeking treatment for [depression or disease] in primary care
Culturally sensitive care for [Asian Americans or population] seeking treatment for chronic [hypertension or disease] management in primary care
Barriers and facilitators to implementing a culturally sensitive clinical protocol in [Hispanic men or population] with [prostate cancer or disease]. MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Evaluation of [cost or type] outcomes of a primary care model that includes a psychiatric-mental health care nurse practitioner overlay service
Development of a [cardiac or disease/type] risk profile to identify high risk [women or population] in primary care
Effective [ADHD/Other] Screening of Children in the Primary Care Setting
Reducing BMI of Overweight and Obese [Children or population]: Evidence-Based Approach
Expedited Partner Therapy: An Option in the Treatment of [Genital Chlamydial Infection or other STI]
Effectiveness of the Use of Insulin [pens/pump]: An Analysis of the [Hispanic adult or population] Patient’s Satisfaction and Outcomes
An Effective Plan to Reduce Polypharmacy in a [State Prison or Long-term Care Facility]
The Role of Reminder Cards and Telephone Follow -Up on Office Visits on Adherence of Patient with [T2DM or other chronic disease]
Effects on A1C among Insulin Managed Diabetic Patients following an Electronic, Patient-Centered, Feedback System: An Evidence-Based Practice
The Effect of Language in the Delivery of Care in [Home Health or other community setting]
The Effect of Culture and Eating Habits on [Childhood or population] Obesity in [United States or state]
The Effectiveness of [Basic Daily Monitoring or other intervention] for [Elderly or population] with Heart Failure to Reduce Hospital Readmission
Adherence to Diet and Exercise to Reduce Hyperlipidemia in [Adults or population]
Evidence-Based Practice in Management of Acute Otitis Media: Topical versus Systemic Treatments
[Walking 3x/week or Other exercise activity] for 45-minutes Reduce Blood Sugar levels in [African- Americans or population] with Type II Diabetes
Implement a [Brisk Physical Activity or other activity} to Improve BS Levels in [Women with GDM or population]? MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Asthma Treatment in Pediatric Patients: Spacer versus Conventional Inhaler
Concurrent use of Probiotics during Antibiotic Therapy Reduce the Incidence of Developing Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea
The Role of Nurse Practitioner in the [Breast Cancer Risk Assessment or other Assessment] on [Hispanic Women or populations]
Brain Exercise Reduce the Cognitive Decline in Patients with [Cognitive Decline or population]
Measuring the Effectiveness of 5-2-1-0 every day to Reduce Obesity in [Children or population]
Spiritual Care: The Missing Link in Health Care Among Patients with [Advanced Cancer in Palliative Care or population]
Effectiveness of Nurse Practitioner’s Home Visits in Improving Patient Adherence in the Management of [Hypertension or population]
Nurse Practitioner’s Focus Patient Education to Prevent Complications of [Pre-eclampsia or population]
Providing Education to [Reduce Hb1Ac or Other measure] in Adherence with Current [Diabetes or other chronic disease] Guidelines
Utilization of Nurse Practitioners in the [Emergency Department or other Community Settings] on Patient Satisfaction, Provider to Patient time, and Length of Stay
Use of NP-led Triage Orders in Emergency Department for Early Patient’s Discharge
Screening of Patients with Drug-Seeking Behaviors in [Emergency Department or other Community Setting]
Developing an Education-based Approach to Increase Awareness on [Prostate Cancer or other] Screening
Reducing [HPV or other preventable disease] Incidences with Vaccination among the [Latino Population ages 11-26 in the United States or population] MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
Evaluate the Effectiveness Of Post-Discharge Follow-Up Among [Congestive Heart Failure or high-risk population] Patients on Reduction of Hospital Readmission, Improve Quality Of Life, Medication Reconciliation, Self-Care Skills and Coordination of Care During Transition to Home [Other]
Primary Care Provider Practice Patterns for the Identification, Treatment, and Management of [early onset sepsis disease or other disease] in [pediatric or populations]
Evaluation on Implementing and Follow-up with Health Screening Guidelines [Colonoscopy or other Screening] in a Primary Clinic or other Community Setting
Primary Care Provider Practice Patterns for the Treatment and Management Follow-up after UC or ED visit in [older adults or population]
Barriers and facilitators to implementing a culturally sensitive clinical protocol in [refugee men or population] with [depression or other chronic disease]
General MSN 563 Assignment Guidelines:
There are a lot of instructors and everyone one of us grades differently. So, to help with the confusion, here are some tips for my class. I sleep with the APA manual under my pillow. The 6th edition is the model for this class. Here are common errors that frequently lose points:
- There are two spaces after sentences in APA format (APA Manual 4.01)
- EBSCO Host and CINAHL are not reference locations. They are indexing services. They should NEVER appear in a reference list.
- Fonts between the heading and body must match.
- Indents are best handled using the indent on the ruler in Word, not by spaces. Be careful that the indent is corrected for all headings so that they are not skewed to the right of center.
- Word inserts extra line spacing after paragraphs automatically. Turn it off in HOME|PARAGRAPH|LINE AND PARAGRAPH SPACING.
- First person is used to describe your own activity and research. Indirect references are inappropriate (the use of “one”).
- Quotes are rarely appropriate. They should be saved for phrases that cannot be reworded without changing the context such as “Give me liberty or give me death.” (Patrick Henry).
- Less is more. Simple language, short sentences, and clear statements are assets.
- Do not announce the paper or the conclusion. In this paper, we will ….is verboten. In conclusion, this paper reviewed…. and such wording is also verboten. These are redundancies that take up space without adding to the paper. Editors hate them and will sometimes reject a paper only because they are there.
- There are no feelings in a scholarly paper. Just the facts ma’am. Opinions are not stated until the conclusion and are based on the facts stated in the paper.
- All statements of facts must be referenced. If you report that it was warm on a particular day, provide a reference to a weather report. MSN 563 Week 3: Assignment – Part 1: Introduction and Problem Statement
- Turn on grammar and spelling checking in your word processor. It is on in the instructor’s view. Little blue or red squiggles are hard to miss and so easy to grade.
- Turn on the ruler. You will see the indent and tab settings that way.
- Use Turn-It-In. Look at the results before submitting your final version.
- Plagiarism is a major issue and will severely affect your progress.
- Do NOT cut and paste into your paper. You will insert non-printable characters that will show up like a red flag.
The purpose of this attention to detail is to help prepare you for the dissemination of scholarly work. A publication manual is a method to assure continuity across writings in a publication. When a paper is submitted to a journal, the editor has to know if it will fit in the space available in an edition. If a paper follows the formatting, the editor can tell exactly how many column inches will be required to publish the paper. A significant concern is wordiness. Clear, concise language saves space. Words are money in both directions to an editor. Papers that the editor does not have to edit are more likely to be published.
Read the assignment. Answer the points of the assignment. Going off on a tangent or discussing issues not part of the assignment does not help a grade.
An instructor has about 3 days to grade 40+ papers. If the specific items of the assignment are easy to find, such as having a heading, then it is easier to grade. When it is hard to find or see if the point is covered, the instructor has to look harder and is MUCH MORE likely to find little issues to grade.