NRS 493 GCU Week 4 Health Care Capstone Change Project Outcomes
Families and communities will reduce obesity rates and obesity related chronic
According to HealthPeople 2020 increasing the community’s knowledge about obesity, obesity related chronic disease and how to make healthier choices, empowers them to adopt healthier lifestyles that will reduce obesity and obesity related chronic diseases [CITATION Hea20 \l 1033].
Healthy Eating on Government Property Outcome:
- Employees and participants will make better nutrition choices and increase physical activity that will reduce obesity and obesity related chronic
- This is related to “learn by example”. People tend to follow the examples of leaders. For instance, if the nutrition direction does not practice the education he or she teaches, neither will the individuals he or she is teaching. If our county leaders and employees adopt healthy lifestyle choices, others will follow.
Healthy Eating in Schools, Child-care facilities, and After School Programs:
- Schools, child-cares facilities, and after school programs will increase fruit and vegetable choices, limit sugary drinks, and serve low fat foods.
- High saturated fat diets not only increase obesity, it also, according to the American Heart Association’s 2020 heart disease and stroke statistics report, influences cardiovascular and cerebrovascular morbidity and mortality rates.
- According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services (2020), making healthier food choices and practicing good dietary habits provides children with skills that will maintain good health and prevent obesity and obesity related disease in later life[ CITATION Uni20 \l 1033 ].
- Schools, child-cares facilities, and after school programs will reduce screen time for students and increase physical activities that will reduce obesity and obesity related chronic diseases. According to Bullock, (2017) sedentary behavior is associated with obesity (Bullock et al, 2017).
The public health department will implement community policies to improve the food According to Ananthapaven (2020) studies have shown that in communities where public health and local government have established strong policies aimed to promote better healthier styles, not only reduced rates of obesity and obesity related chronic diseases, but also substantially reduced health care cost (Ananthapaven, et. al., 2020).
Outcomes measure the success of the objectives. The outcomes listed above are measurable claims related prevention by establishing strong policy interventions aimed to promote better health obesity and obesity related disease. Positive outcomes will show that the policy interventions reduced obesity rates and decreased obesity related disease.
- Ananthapavan, J. S. (2020, June 19). Priority-setting for obesity prevention—The Assessing Cost-Effectiveness of Obesity Prevention Policies in Australia (ACE-Obesity Policy) Study. Plos One. Retrieved from: doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0234804
- Bullock, V. E., Griffiths, P., Sherar, L. B., & Clemes, S. A. (2017). Sitting time and obesity in a sample of adults from Europe and the USA. Annals of human biology, 44(3), 230–236. https://doi.org/10.1080/03014460.2016.1232749
- HealthyPeople.gov. (2020, August 8). HC/HIT-13.1 Data Details. Retrieved from: https://www.healthypeople.gov/node/4525/data_details
- United States Department of Health & Human Services. (2020, August 8). Time to Start Good Habits. Retrieved from: https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolescent-development/physicalhealth-and-nutrition/healthy-behavior/time-to-start-good-habits/index.html
Capstone Change Project Outcomes
After working with your preceptor to assess organizational policies, create a list of measurable outcomes for your capstone project intervention. Write a list of three to five outcomes for your proposed intervention. Below each outcome, provide a one or two sentence rationale.
The assignment will be used to develop a written implementation plan. APA style is not required, but solid academic writing is expected. You are not required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.
The capstone project aims to improve care for patients with wounds using negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) to treat wounds. This intervention is a change to standard wound care practiced by nurses and a move towards better care outcomes. The healthcare problem revolves around the quality and effectiveness of nurses’ care to patients in in-patient settings.
Organizational culture will change through nursing practice changes and the need for additional nursing staff and training on the new technology. This project’s general aim is to improve patient outcomes and quality of care through new approaches to wound practice.
Objective 1: To reduce the average wound treatment duration for in-patients
This objective is based on the aim of increasing the effectiveness of wound care. Reduced treatment duration will lead to better patient experiences and probably better satisfaction of patients in the hospital. NPWT aims to enhance healing hence reduce time spent in treatment for the wound.
Objective 2: To enhance patients’ satisfaction with wound care processes If NPWT effectively enhances healing, it will improve patients’ experiences by reducing the risk of wound infection and reducing time spent in the hospital. Shorter hospitalization time is associated with better patient experience and satisfaction; hence the technology may improve overall patient satisfaction by services in the hospital. Objective 3: To enhance patient safety through better wound care
Effective wound care also reduces the risk of wound infection and enhances patient safety by reducing the risk of healthcare-acquired infection (HAIs). The technology thus presents the potential of reducing HAIs and increasing patient safety in the hospital.
The project and objectives promote autonomy and social justice for individuals and diverse populations. Autonomy is the self-determination of patients to choose the type of care and care processes they should be subjected to (Podlog & Brown, 2016). NPWT provides an option for patients to undergo the process or wait for the natural process of wound healing. Providing an option to standard care promotes self-determination and autonomy, hence enhancing care for the patients.
In connection to social justice, the technology is available for all patients with no extra care wounds. By providing this service as part of wound care, the hospital enhances equitable access to all patients’ care services and processes.
- Podlog, L. W., & Brown, W. J. (2016). Self-determination theory: A framework for enhancing patient-centered care. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(8), e359-e362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.04.022
Read “Introducing AORN’s New Model for Evidence Rating,” by Spruce, Van Wicklin, Hicks, Conner, and Dunn, from AORN Journal (2014).
Read “Change Theory: Kurt Lewin,” located on the Current Nursing website. URL:
Review “Translating Research for Evidence-Based Practice,” by Bowen and Forrest, from Access (2017).
Example Topic Summary: Wound Care
The project’s chosen evidence-based practice topic is wound care. Therefore, the project’s primary goal will be to identify the optimum method for enhancing wound care through promoting healing. Because open wounds are present in the majority of injuries being treated in hospitals, this subject is crucial. Sen (2019) estimates that 3% of elderly people aged 65 and older have wounds that need medical attention.
Wound treatment is therefore a crucial component of nursing practice and calls for evidence-based practice. The topic can be categorized as a community research topic because it involves direct care dealing with patients. Leadership topics focus on the management and leadership in healthcare organizations and how they affect care
On the other hand, community topics focus on the nurse’s role as played directly to the community members. In this topic, the focus is on delivering care to members of the community to enhance their health outcomes. Therefore, wound care is a community practice topic since it involves nurse interaction with community members. The outcomes of this project will have a direct effect on community health outcomes.
- Sen, C. K. (2019). Human Wounds and Its Burden: An Updated Compendium of Estimates. Advances in Wound Care, 8(2), 39. https://doi.org/10.1089/wound.2019.0946.