NUR514 Topic 6: Improving Access And Quality Care Through Health Care Informatics And Health IT
- Analyze the role of health information technology and informatics in improving access to care and promoting patient safety and quality.
- Analyze the critical role of health information and technology standards and interoperability in improving access to care and the exchange of health information.
- Discuss best practice for implementing informatics technologies that impact advanced practice nursing and the delivery of care, including clinical provider order entry (CPOE) and clinical decision support systems (CDSS).
- Evaluate the role of workflow analysis, human factors, and user-centered design concepts in developing health information technologies.
Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession Description:
- Read Chapters 12-14 in Advanced Practice Nursing: Essential Knowledge for the Profession.
Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge
- Read Chapters 2, 9-11, and 13 in Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge.
EMR vs EHR – What Is the Difference? Description:
- Read “EMR vs EHR – What Is the Difference?” by Garrett and Seidman (2011), located on the Health IT Buzz website.
What’s the Difference Between Health Informatics and Health Information Management? Description:
- Read “What’s the Difference Between Health Informatics and Health Information Management?” by the College of St. Scholastica (2019), located on the college’s website. Quality Measures
Description: Read “Quality Measures,” located on the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) website (2016).
Writing an Issue Brief Description:
- Read “Writing an Issue Brief,” located on the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) website (2016). This resource will help you complete the Topic 6 assignment.
The Mechanics of Writing a Policy Brief
- Read “The Mechanics of Writing a Policy Brief,” by DeMarco and Tufts, from Nursing Outlook (2014). This resource will help you complete your Topic 6 assignment.
A Usability Study to Improve a Clinical Decision Support System for the Prescription of Antibiotic Drugs Description:
- Read “A Usability Study to Improve a Clinical Decision Support System for the Prescription of Antibiotic Drugs,” by Akloufi, Verhaegh, Jaspers, Melles, van der Sijs, and Verbon, from PLOS ONE (2019).
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Description:
- Explore the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) website.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Description:
- Explore the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) website.
American College of Nurse-Midwives Library Description:
- Explore the issue briefs available on the ACNM Library page of the American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) website. This resource will help you complete your Topic 6 assignment.
Emerging Technology Brief
New health care innovations offer the advanced registered nurse an opportunity to apply emerging technologies in practice to improve quality and patient outcomes. For this assignment, research an emerging healthcare technology that you think has the potential to overcome current or emerging barriers to care.
Write a 500-750 word brief. Include the following:
- Provide an overview of the emerging technology and its role/function in health care. Consider its potential for improving access to care and promoting patient safety and quality.
- Describe ethical or legal issues that would accompany the incorporation of the technology.
- Explain the nurse’s informatics role in regard to the technology. Provide examples of the roles and job functions.
- Outline the role of workflow analysis, human factors, and user-centered design concepts for your chosen technology example.
Refer to the study materials for samples and resources to help you construct your brief. You are required to cite three to five sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and nursing content.
Complete the “APA Writing Checklist” to ensure that your paper adheres to APA style and formatting criteria and general guidelines for academic writing. Include the completed checklist as an appendix at the end of your paper..
Topic 6 DQ 1
In what ways can informatics help health care providers overcome current or emerging barriers to care and increase access to safe, quality health care? Include a discussion of the value and challenges of clinical provider order entry (CPOE) and clinical decision support systems (CDSS) in providing safe patient care in your response. Why are heuristic principles (human factors/usability/user centered design) important for efficient clinical information systems such as CPOE and CDSS?
Topic 6 DQ 2
Discuss the importance of interoperability between EHRs and other disparate systems and the impact on improving quality and access to care. How can workflow analysis be used to identify issues related to interoperability?
Topic 6 Participation