NURS 6003 Week 1 Networking for Academic and Professional Success
Week 1: Networking for Academic and Professional Success
- Analyze relationships among Walden’s vision, mission, goals, and social change initiatives to professional and academic goals (D, A)
- Analyze the relationship between MSN program outcomes and perspectives to professional and academic goals (D, A)
- Identify academic and professional collaborators for academic and professional success (D, A)
- Identify concepts for Walden student readiness (Q)
- Identify individuals or teams to collaborate with for success in the MSN program and as a practicing nurse (A)
- Nurse.org. (n.d.). List of nursing organizations. Retrieved October 12, 2018, from https://nurse.org/orgs.shtml
- Schmidt, K. (n.d.). 5 reasons nurses should engage in professional networking [Blog post]. Retrieved October 12, 2018, from https://blog.bluepipes.com/5-reasons-nurses-should-take-professional-networking-serio usly/
- Document: Discussion Posting Exemplars (PDF)
- Walden University. (n.d.). Subject Research: Nursing. Retrieved November 9, 2018, from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/subject/nursing
Discussion: Networking Opportunities
This week you begin to lay the foundation for your academic and professional success. Your efforts begin with a vision, which includes your own definition of success. Your vision may vary from those of your colleagues, but this does not mean you have to take these first steps alone.
Walden University and the College of Nursing also have a vision and mission, which include helping you to make your own vision a reality. Members of your new academic community, such as faculty, support teams, and fellow students, can also be helpful. Current practitioners and other members of the professional community can also help you to clarify your vision.
This week’s Discussion asks you to think about how the Walden mission and vision and the College of Nursing mission and vision apply to your professional and academic goals. You will also begin to identify individuals and teams that can help you along the way, as you begin to design the “blueprint”—your Academic Success and Professional Development Plan—that will guide you toward your own vision for academic and professional success.
- Review the Walden and the College of Nursing mission and vision statements, Walden’s goals and University Outcomes, and the MSN Program Learning Outcomes presented in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Reflect on your professional and academic goals as they relate to your program/specialization.
- Consider how the information in these resources fit with your own goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner.
- Also consider academic and professional individuals and teams that you may collaborate with in support of your efforts as a student at the University and as a professional within your organization and career.
By Day 3
Post a brief post introducing yourself to your colleagues. Include an explanation for how Walden’s vision, mission, goals, and social change initiatives relate to your professional and academic goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner. Also include an explanation for how the Walden MSN program outcomes and perspectives relate to your professional and academic goals and to your becoming a scholar-practitioner.
Support main post with 3 or more current, credible sources and cite source within content of posting and on a reference list in proper APA.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on two different days, by suggesting additional individuals and/or teams with whom to collaborate or by offering additional networking strategies.
Be sure to offer support from at least 2 current, credible sources in each required response to classmates’ main post and cite per APA.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 1 Discussion Rubric Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 6
To participate in this Discussion:
Week 1 Discussion
Quiz: Walden’s Student Readiness Orientation
You probably have a lot of questions (and perhaps some hesitation) about the journey you are undertaking. How do I navigate the online classroom? How can I have access to a library in this environment? The Student Readiness Orientation (SRO) mini-course available on your MyWalden page provides answers to such questions and helps ensure you understand how to navigate the online classroom and utilize the many resources available to you as a student at Walden.
The Readiness Check will help you determine how well prepared you are for navigating the online classroom.
The questions presented on the quiz are derived from the Readiness Check presented in the Student Readiness orientation. NURS 6003 Week 1 Networking for Academic and Professional Success
Click on the Week 1 Quiz link after you have read the directions carefully.
The Readiness Check includes 15 questions in various formats: true/false and multiple choice. If you score 12 or below, please retake the exam. You may retake the exam as many times as you would like to achieve the desired score. Your highest score will be recorded. To retake the quiz, click on “take test again” (this does not appear as a hyperlink but works as a hyperlink when you click on the area). To view the questions you answered correctly and incorrectly, click on your score in the My Grades area.
- Review the Walden’s Student Readiness Orientation found on your MyWalden page.
By Day 7
Complete the quiz.