NURS 6650 Week 4 Assignment 3 Week 2 Journal Entry
- Apply documentation skills to examine family therapy sessions *
- Develop diagnoses for clients receiving family psychotherapy *
- Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders
The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 3.
Select two clients you observed or counseled this week during a family therapy session.
Note: The two clients you select must have attended the same family session.
Then, address in your Practicum Journal the following:
- Using the Group Therapy Progress Note in this week’s Learning Resources, document the family session.
- Describe (without violating HIPAA regulations) each client, and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
- Using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), explain and justify your diagnosis for each client.
- Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling each client.
Week 4 Assignment 4 Practicum – Assessing Client Families
- Assess client families presenting for psychotherapy
- Develop genograms for client families presenting for psychotherapy
- Select a client family that you have observed or counseled at your practicum site. Review pages 137–142 of Wheeler (2014) and the Hernandez Family Genogram video in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Reflect on elements of writing a comprehensive client assessment and creating a genogram for the client you selected.
Part 1: Comprehensive Client Family Assessment
Create a comprehensive client assessment for your selected client family that addresses (without violating HIPAA regulations) the following:
- Demographic information
- Presenting problem
- History or present illness
- Past psychiatric history
- Medical history
- Substance use history
- Developmental history
- Family psychiatric history
- Psychosocial history
- History of abuse and/or trauma
- Review of systems
- Physical assessment
- Mental status exam
- Differential diagnosis
- Case formulation
- Treatment plan
Part 2: Family Genogram
- Develop a genogram for the client family you selected. The genogram should extend back at least three generations (parents, grandparents, and great grandparents).
Week 6 Assignment – Applying Current Literature To Clinical Practice
Psychiatric mental health nursing practice is one of the newest disciplines to be licensed to provide psychotherapy As such, the majority of psychotherapy research is centered on other disciplines such as psychology, social work, marriage/family therapy, art therapy, psychiatry, and mental health counseling.
This makes it essential for you to be able to translate current literature from other disciplines into your own clinical practice. For this Assignment, you practice this skill by examining literature on group work and group therapy and considering its applicability to your own clients.
- Evaluate the application of current literature to clinical practice
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide on group work and group therapy.
- Select one of the articles from the Learning Resources to evaluate for this Assignment. Note: In nursing practice, it is not uncommon to review current literature and share findings with your colleagues. Approach this Assignment as though you were presenting the information to your colleagues.
In a 5- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation, address the following:
Provide an overview of the article you selected, including answers to the following questions:
- What type of group was discussed?
- Who were the participants in the group? Why were they selected?
- What was the setting of the group?
- How often did the group meet?
- What was the duration of the group therapy?
- What curative factors might be important for this group and why?
- What “exclusion criteria” did the authors mention?
Explain the findings/outcomes of the study in the article. Include whether this will translate into practice with your own client groups. If so, how? If not, why? Explain whether the limitations of the study might impact your ability to use the findings/outcomes presented in the article.
Note: The presentation should be 5–10 slides, not including the title and reference slides. Include presenter notes (no more than a half page per slide) and use tables and/or diagrams where appropriate. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the article you selected. Support your presentation with evidence-based literature.