NRS 429VN Topic 5: Health Education And Current Challenges For Family-Centered Health Promotion
- Explain the role of health education in health promotion.
- Examine the role of the nurse in promoting family-centered health education.
- Discuss issues of risk for families.
- Identify families at risk for domestic violence, child abuse, and elder abuse.
Read Chapter 5 in Health Promotion: Health and Wellness Across the Continuum.
This is a Collaborative Learning Community (CLC) assignment.
An important role of nursing is to provide health promotion and disease prevention. Review the 2020 Topics and Objectives on the Healthy People website. Choose a topic of interest that you would like to address, in conjunction with a population at-risk for the associated topic. Submit the topic and associated group to your instructor for approval.
Create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation for your topic and focus group. Include speaker notes and citations for each slide, and create a slide at the end for References.
Address the following:
- Describe the approved topic and associated population your group has selected. Discuss how this topic adversely affects the population. How does health disparity affect this population?
- Explain evidence-based approaches that can optimize health for this population. How do these approaches minimize health disparity among affected populations?
- Outline a proposal for health education that can be used in a family-centered health promotion to address the issue for the target population. Ensure your proposal is based on evidence-based practice.
- Present a general profile of at least one health-related organization for the selected focus topic. Present two resources, national or local, for the proposed education plan that can be utilized by the provider or the patient.
- Identify interdisciplinary health professionals important to include in the health promotion. What is their role? Why is their involvement significant?
Cite at least three peer-reviewed or scholarly sources to complete this assignment. Sources should be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.
Refer to the resource, “Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Topic 5 DQ 1
Explain the role of health education in health promotion. How is the nursing process used in developing health education? Describe a contemporary issue, local or global, that a family may experience today. What steps would the nurse take to address these as part of a health education plan?
Re: Topic 5 DQ 1 Example Approach
Health education and health promotion work together to expand people’s awareness and assist communities in taking steps to better their health. Health promotion takes into account social determinants of wellbeing by supplying patients with the support and tools they need to take personal action and responsibility for their wellness (Faulkner, 2018).
Health education, on the other side, is any synthesis of a patient’s personal interactions that improve their understanding of health (Faulkner, 2018). The nursing method, which includes identification, diagnosis, preparation, treatments, and reviews of the interventions utilized, is applicable to all areas of family health.
Weapons protection is a problem in the United States because of the country’s penchant for firearms and gun culture. Using the clinical method, when questioning people, the nurse should inquire into lifestyle factors and safety concerns, such as if the household has guns in the house. If that is the case, it is the nurse’s responsibility to instruct the family on gun control. First and foremost, the nurse should emphasize the importance of keeping weapons away from children and locked away in a stable and protected place (Faulkner, 2018).
Guns should be put up, unloaded, and stored in a place where children cannot reach them. Even if the family may not have weapons, the nurse may emphasize to the parents the value of inquiring regarding the homes of their children’s friends that they may meet (Faulkner, 2018).
- A. Faulkner (2018). Health Education, Promotion, and Current Family-Centered Health Promotion Challenge Retrieved from https://lc.gcumedia.com/nrs429vn/health-promotion-health-and-wellness-across-the-co ntinuum/v1.1/#/chapter/5 on April 26th, 2021
Health promotion enables people to take charge of their health regimen by using treatment programs tailored to their specific needs. Good health education obtained by different forms of learning opportunities is the starting point for promotion.
COVID-19 is a pandemic that has spread around the world. Any person/family on the planet has been infected in some way by the virus. The nursing method is critical in determining educational requirements in order to deter the transmission of the COVID-19 virus. Beginning with the evaluation point, the nurse gathers and analyzes data in relation to the patient’s risk factors in order to determine needs to deter virus infection/spread.
The nurse also correlates the details gleaned from the evaluation and arrives at the conclusion that the patient is virus-free. The preparation and execution stages allow the nurse to develop a teaching/health education strategy with short and long-term objectives that incorporate a variety of learning experiences.
Encourage the patient to spend as much time as possible at home and to quit only when absolutely appropriate. Encourage social isolation, use of a face mask and hand sanitizer, regular washing of surfaces, stop touching surfaces while not at home, and advising the patient how to recognize potential signs and symptoms and what to do if they have symptoms.
The assessment stage helps the nurse and patient to assess the feasibility of the plan/teaching and change it if required to achieve the teaching aim of keeping symptom-free.
- Falkner, A. F. (2018). CCC Web Books by AWS & CDD. Retrieved from https://lc.gcumedia.com/nrs429vn/health-promotion-health-and-wellness-across-the-co ntinuum/v1.1/#/chapter/5