GCU NRS 493 Evidence Based Practice Assignment
NRS 493 GCU Evidence Based Practice Managerial Attitudes & Perceived Barriers Replies
Identify two GCU Library scholarly databases that will help you find the best research articles to support your capstone project change proposal. Discuss why these two databases are better than Google Scholar or a general Internet search.
1 – Cara Harris
PubMed encompasses millions of published articles that are relevant to the nursing field. Many of the articles are research articles that discuss research funded by National Institutes of Health (NIH). (GCU,2017)This has been a very useful resource throughout my studies with Grand Canyon University( GCU) . GCU alco lists in the library database the Cochrane Library. This library includes 7 databases important to systematic reviews in Healthcare.
It also contains controlled trials, methodology, decision-making, collaboration. This information is listed in the GCU Library.(GCU, 2017) Using these databases and libraries are better the google or internet searches because you know you are accessing a reliable source that is clearly defined, formatted, with all references and citations available. It is also easy to see associated articles for the topic.
- Grand Canyon University. (2017). http://library.gcu.edu/Database/Subject?subject=Nu…
2 – Jocelyn Perez
Two GCU Library scholarly databases will help me find the best research articles to support my capstone project change proposal, including using PubMed and Gale One File Nursing and Allied Health. PubMed is by far the best database that I have used throughout this program. I have found the most relevant information on this database. PubMed is a free database of more than 30 million citations for published articles in the fields of biomedicine and health.
The second database is Gale One File Nursing and Allied Health. This database has over 10 million articles. This collection provides nursing students and other health care professionals with current and authoritative content (Grand Canyon University, 2021). These two databases are Google Scholar or a general internet search because they provide strong, evidence-based research that is peer-reviewed and relevant to the course’s objectives.
- Grand Canyon University. (2021). Find Journal Articles. GCU. https://libguides.gcu.edu/az.php?s=66982
3 – Rebecca Illnicky
The GCU library has a wealth of information. You can formulate your search to look for specific information and narrow it down by date, publication types and peer review. It can sometimes be difficult to find exactly what you are looking for with such a large library of information but GCU library web page states if you have looked for over 20 min its time to contact them for assistance with your search.
The available content ranges for full text scholarly journal articles to the most updated textbooks from reputable publishers and resource sites. Students should find the available content GCU offers sufficient for research projects and assignments.
4 – Tamara Guitterez
ProQuest database along with EBSCO are two scholarly databases that will help me with research articles throughout my capstone project to explore resources related to health care as well as mental health attributes. GCU Library has a variety of databases to offer assistance. These produce easy access information in regards to the many different studies throughout this educational experience. My current school district utilizes the ProQuest database for research and documentation.
These scholarly searches are peer reviewed when needed to gather evidence-based practices. The platform for either is easily accessible with exact data rather than general information found in the general internet searches. These GCU Library databases offer reliable citations for your work. Using the GCU Library platform for your database information ensures reliable facts and help with searches 7 days a week.
- GCU Library. https://libguides.gcu.edu/az.php
Question 2 –
The Institute of Medicine has stated a goal that 90% of practice be evidence-based by 2020. According to HealthyPeople.gov, the United States is currently at approximately 15%. Discuss two barriers that might hold nursing practice from achieving this goal and suggest ways in which identified barriers may be addressed.
5 – Shannon Bolin
Evidence-based practice (EBP) integrates research-based information into patient care to provide the best quality care and patient outcomes possible (Wilson & Austria, 2019). When applying EBP to patient care, the healthcare provider uses knowledge gained through continue research and education to incorporate interventions and procedures that are aimed at improving the patient’s experiences.
Nurses and other healthcare providers must continue to strive to remain up to date with every changing practice of medicine and apply evidence-based research into their practice. While research shows that EBP care is best for the safety and outcome of the patient, many health care providers still find it difficult to incorporate it into daily operation. In a study done, one barrier cited in the implementation of EBP is lack of resources (Alatawi et al., 2020).
As an example of this type of barrier in preventing falls in the hospital, a nurse may find that the use of chair alarms no longer is best practice when a patient is sitting in a chair to alert staff they are moving. The nurse begins research new techniques and interventions that offer better safety and find that wireless set alarms are considered best practice, however, due to financial restraints this type of EBP intervention is not realistic for their unit.
Another barrier that Alatai et al. identified was a lack of training or education on newly implemented items (Alatai et al., 2020). As an example of this type of barrier, a hospital system purchases a new type of hospital bed that is proven to reduce pressure ulcers and allow more variability for better positioning for the patients. After the hospital incorporated this new bed into use it only provided brief instruction on one unit and invited nurses to come at a specific time to learn this use of this bed in a minimal amount of time during their shift.
As a result, the nursing staff did not feel adequately trained on the new bed system and were not able to utilize it to the fullest extent of its use and purpose. While EBP continues to be the gold standard there will be barriers that prevent nursing staff from incorporating these into practice. It is, however, the duty of the nursing profession to continue to advocate for itself the benefits the patient receives from improvement implementation of EBP into the patient setting.
- Alatawi, M., Aljuhani, E., Alsufiany, F., Aleid, K., Rawah, R., Aljanabi, S. & Banakhar, M., (2020). Barriers of implementing evidence-based practice in the nursing profession: A literature review. American Journal of Nursing Science. Retrieved from http://www.nursingscience.net/article/152/10.11648…
- Wilson, B. & Austria, M-J., (2019). What is evidence-based practice? University of Utah Health. Retrieved from https://accelerate.uofuhealth.utah.edu/explore/wha…
6 – Mary Orao
According to a study carried out by (Shayan et al.,2019) on barriers associated with Evidence-Based Practice Among Nurses in Low- and Middle-Income Countries, three of the main barriers were institutional-related, nurse-related and there were also interdisciplinary barriers. Limitation in availability of resources, access to information, inadequate staffing and lack of support from institutions contributed to institutional barriers from achieving this goal.
Nurse-related barriers emerged from the perception that there were limitations in the scope of practice in the nursing profession and knowledge of EBP despite advanced education. Another significant contributor was the lack of consistency between nursing education and practice, poor teamwork and the negativity of the nursing profession brought about by the public’s image(Shayan et al.,2019).
Moving forward ,to address these barriers, institutions should provide the necessary support needed for the implementation of these EBP practices by ensuring that there is availability of resources. Nurses should be empowered to practice within their educational boundaries and this can be enhanced through legislative advocacy. The transition between nursing education and practice should be seamless and enable consistency. Reference
- Shayan, S. J., Kiwanuka, F., & Nakaye, Z. (2019). Barriers Associated With Evidence-Based Practice Among Nurses in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review. Worldviews on evidence-based nursing, 16(1), 12–20. https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12337
Capstone Project Topic Selection And Approval
In collaboration with the approved course preceptor, students will ide
Assessment Description notify a specific evidence-based topic “(Effectiveness of fall prevention programs in improving the patient’s safety during the healthcare process)” for the capstone project change proposal. Students should consider the clinical environment in which they are currently employed or have recently worked (Nursing Home- Senior Care Services).
The capstone project topic can be a clinical practice problem, an organizational issue, a leadership or quality improvement initiative, or an unmet educational need specific to a patient population or community. The student may also choose to work with an interprofessional collaborative team.
Students should select a topic that aligns to their area of interest as well as the clinical practice setting in which practice hours are completed.
Write a 500-750 word description of your proposed capstone project topic. Include the following:
- The problem or issue, intervention, quality initiative, educational need, or collaborative interprofessional team project that will be the focus of the change proposal.
- The setting or context in which the problem or issue, intervention, quality initiative, educational need, or collaborative interprofessional team project can be observed.
- A description (providing a high level of detail) regarding the problem or issue, intervention, quality initiative, educational need, or collaborative interprofessional team project.
- Effect of the problem or issue, intervention, quality initiative, educational need, or collaborative interprofessional team project.
- Significance of the topic and its implications for nursing practice.
- A proposed solution to the identified project topic with an explanation of how it will affect nursing practice.
NRS 493 Change Project Evaluation Plan
- Review your strategic plan to implement the change proposal, the objectives, the outcomes, and listed resources. Develop a process to evaluate the intervention if it were implemented.
- Write a 150-250 word summary of the evaluation plan that will be used to evaluate your intervention.
- APA style is not required, but must use solid academic writing.
- Any resources in APA format
Sample Executive Summary Of The Plan
There are many ways that can be put in place in the nursing sector to facilitate the changes in the effectiveness of the healthcare sector. Through the use of the right tools in the nurse sector, using some practices that may bring the involved stakeholders together makes it easy to reduce the problems that may make it challenging for the healthcare sector to succeed in the reduction of the health issues.
There are several sources that will be implemented in the study to bring about the needed change and to reduce the knowledge barrier that may be experienced. A survey by El Zouka & Hosni (2019) evaluates the communication tools that may be implemented in the nursing sector to assist in the appropriate monitoring of the effectiveness of the quality of health outcome.
Kumari et al. (2018) confirm the opportunities that have been created in the healthcare sector as a result of the implementation of the practices that may assist in the improvement of the level of communication. With this tool being put in place, the challenges that can be experienced in this sector are easily managed.
Additionally, this study is necessary for that it will assist in promoting the level of relationship between the stakeholders in the health sector. Patankar & Brown (2019) points out the possibility of the improvement of the safety of patients through the implementation of modern technology in this sector.
The authors point out the practices in the health sector that may need more attention to reduce the barriers that may affect the quality of health. Concerning safety, this article will offer important information that will assist in the creation of a tool that may resolve the health barriers that may be experienced. A study by Schrim et al. (2018) argues that the need to ensure that the safety of the patients is considered.
Although there are many ways of attaining this, a bedside shift report may make it easy for one to reduce the barriers that may be experienced in this sector. This source will be significant since it offers guidelines on the measures that can be put in place in a healthcare organization to improve the rate of performance.
- El Zouka, H. A., & Hosni, M. M. (2019). Secure IoT communications for a smart healthcare monitoring system. Internet of Things, 100036.
- Kumari, A., Tanwar, S., Tyagi, S., & Kumar, N. (2018). Fog computing for Healthcare 4.0 environment: Opportunities and challenges. Computers & Electrical Engineering, 72, 1-13.
- Patankar, M. S., & Brown, J. P. (2019, December). Adapting systems thinking and safety reporting in high-consequence industries to healthcare. In Seminars in perinatology (Vol. 43, No. 8, p. 151180). WB Saunders. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31500844/
- Schirm, V., Banz, G., Swartz, C., & Richmond, M. (2018). Evaluation of bedside shift report: A research and evidence-based practice initiative. Applied Nursing Research, 40, 20-25.